Go 7^2ers!

About to head over to a family friend’s home to celebrate the San Francisco 49ers playing in the NFC championship game today against the Seattle Seahawks.  This provided the opportunity for me to post something mathematical related to the team and their chances of winning today.

The following excerpt from Playoffstatus.com shows that the 49ers have a 38% chance of winning today.

Go 7^2ers!

The site computes post-season probabilities for the entire NFL, as shown for the top teams below.

Post Season Probabilities


Note that the probability shown in this table differs from the one in first table.  This is most likely due to a different level of precision selected for computation and eventual display in the different tables.  I’ve been away from coding and databases structures too long to know whether the data in these tables are computed once and stored for local display or computed separately per table.

I like that they also show the odds of the 49ers winning the SuperBowl, given the current field of contenders.  This appears to be a great site for algebra 2 and probability students everywhere to explore conditional probability.  As an example, assuming the 49ers make it to the SuperBowl, what is their chance of winning against the Broncos (63% chance of going to the SuperBowl, prior to AFC championship game time) versus the Patriots (37% chance)? [It appears the Broncos are going to the SuperBowl as of 6:08 PM EDT with the final score: 26-16.]

Next year, I am going to follow this site more closely, and see if I can integrate aspects of it into my algebra 1 course, without going too deep into the probability side.  I might explore doing so even with probabilities, too, if there is interest from students.  Just trying to find a hook for students, even if it is only one!

Playoff Picture

About Dave aka Mr. Math Teacher

Independent consultant and junior college adjunct instructor. Former secondary math teacher who taught math intervention, algebra 1, geometry, accelerated algebra 2, precalculus, honors precalculus, AP Calculus AB, and AP Statistics. Prior to teaching, I spent 25 years in high tech in engineering, marketing, sales and business development roles in the satellite communications, GPS, semiconductor, and wireless industries. I am awed by the potential in our nation's youth and I hope to instill in them the passion to improve our world at local, state, national, and global levels.
This entry was posted in Curriculum, Mathematical Proficiency and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Go 7^2ers!

  1. Dave says:

    even better to use probability strategies for March Madness contests. Super Bowl is billed as the Pot Bowl based on the two states involved. Should be crazy here in NY next two weeks.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s