My classmate and I made quick changes to our group-worthy task documents last night and this morning thanks to insightful feedback from our math cohort and our program director, who covered for our instructor who was out sick. The changes were so last-minute that we needed to print copies for students with less than five minutes to go before the period started!
The revised task card and reflection assignment follow. My classmate changed our guidelines slide but I do not have that yet.
I believe today went great, except for the technical SNAFU I discovered an hour ago when attempting to playback the recorded video. The video was great, but there was no audio of the two groups we video-recorded. Fortunately, my classmate brought in a handheld audio recorder which we used as backup. While I have not heard that audio, the video looked good and my recollection of the day is that it went surprisingly well. Now, we have tons of analysis and writing to complete this “final project” for our teacher ed program.
Here are photos of three different group’s work. While none, independently,* discovered the necessity to limit the domain of the inverse trigonometric function in order for it to be considered a function, nearly every group used multiple methods to address the problems and represent their work. There were groups working intensely, some moderately, and at least one barely working on the task. While it is hoped that all will be fully engaged all the time, reality oftentimes results in what we observed today. Nonetheless, it was great seeing students work together, mostly, using mathematical thinking and group effort to solve the problem. Also, note the humor in the third photo; students will be students!
* the second poster does contain a restricted domain representation of the inverse cosine function, however, this was drawn after it was brought to the entire class’ attention what might be required to make sure the inverse was truly a function.